Dr Rach and Smokescreen win Amateur
Rachael Bentall made sure her first big competition in five years was memorable. The doctor from Tauranga and Scott Borland’s SB Smokescreen were the only combination to go double clear in the Amateur Tour and Global Amateur Tour Final today.
A challenging John Vallance course saw plenty of faults, with just three coming back for the jump-off. Rachel was last to go on the seven-year-old mare she only started riding last month, and with the two before her having faults, she went for the careful clear.
“I was fortunate to be at the end,” she said. “Our first competition was here last week and she is just a delight to ride. She tries her heart out. I wanted a nice round and to just keep her steady. It is awesome to win.”
Twenty-seven-year-old Rachael has previously done well up to Grand Prix, World Cup and Young Rider level, particularly aboard her horse Kiwi Brave, but all that went on hold with study and work.
SB Smokescreen has been out of work since Scott Borland broke his neck 10 weeks ago. “Rachael has been a friend for years and it is so exciting to think she’s only sat on the horse about six times,” said a very proud and happy Scott. “I am so excited. They just clicked today. I wanted Rachael to have a good experience getting back into it and she is such an easy and kind horse. It is way more fun having good people on your horses.”
Scott has had the horse since an unbroken three-year-old. “I am absolutely thrilled.”
- Rachael Bentall (Tauranga) SB Smokescreen (thoroughbred cross by Smoken Up, out of Tickle me Feathers – owned by Scott Borland)
- Megan Schischka (Waiwera) Hollywood Wannabe (by Huntington Foxtrot, out of Croftlea Cloud Dancer – owned by Amy and Megan Schischka)
- Danielle Wheeler (Clevedon) CP Aurelio (warmblood thoroughbred cross by Cotenda, out of Kinnordy Esmeralda – owned by Danielle Wheeler)
- Kelly Smith (Foxton) Corlinka (warmblood by Corland, out of Cufflink – owned by Kelly Smith)
- Tim Bruce (Waikato) Limousine (NZ sport horse by Limonit – owned by Tim Bruce and Neil MacKenzie-Hall)
- Paxton Conder (Whatawhata) La Fonteyn (thoroughbred cross by Littorio, out of Tree Spider – owned by Paxton Conder)